Viloria ready for legacy fight

MANILA, Philippines - For WBO flyweight champion Brian Viloria, the goal isn’t just to retain his title but to also establish a legacy as one of the top pound-for-pound fighters ever by beating Mexican warrior Giovani Segura in their 12-round bout at the Ynares Sports Center in Pasig tomorrow morning.

That’s how much Viloria respects Segura, rated No. 9 in the world’s pound-for-pound honor roll by The Ring Magazine and a former WBO/WBA lightflyweight titlist with a fearsome record of 28-1-1, including 24 KOs – 11 in the first round.

“Of course, I’d like to unify the flyweight title someday and fight Tyson Marquez or Pongsaklek (Wonjongkam) but right now, Segura’s the only thing on my mind,” said Viloria making the first defense of the 112-pound crown he wrested from Mexico’s Julio Cesar Miranda last July.  “I know Segura’s in super shape but so am I.  We know each other well.  We sparred on and off for a period of about five years.  There’s no mystery in Segura’s style.  He’s heavy-handed.  He relies on his power to pressure opponents and push them to the corners. I know what I’m up against and I’m ready.”

Viloria, 31, sparred over 100 rounds in preparing 2 1/2 months for Segura.  “I trained 10 times harder for Segura than Miranda,” he told The STAR in an exclusive interview.  “I know he’s determined.  I have to fight smart to beat him.  I’ll make him miss and adjust to my style.  I won’t fight his fight.  I think he’s slower than Miranda.  I’ll use movement.  I’ll do to Segura what (Miguel) Cotto did to (Antonio) Margarito.  I’ll use my boxing skills to control the pace.  Segura’s a lot like (Ulises) Solis and Miranda.  He’ll want to turn it into a brawl and I won’t let him.  I expect a long drag-out war and I’m prepared to do what it takes to win.”

Viloria’s chief second Ruben Gomez, who worked in Manny Pacquiao’s corner as a cutman in his early US fights, said beating Segura will catapult the Hawaiian Punch to the next elite level.

“Brian and Segura are the best flyweights in the world today,” said Gomez, an American of Mexican descent.  “This fight should be on HBO.  I think it’s the Michael Carbajal-Chiquita Gonzalez fight of this generation.  I don’t see anyone out there beating Brian who’s at his peak.  Brian has it all – boxing skills, power, intelligence.  Then you’ve got Segura who knocked out (Ivan) Calderon twice with body shots.  Segura’s a tough fighter who can knock you out with one punch but so can Brian.  That’s why I think this is going to be an explosive and exciting fight.  Segura has a good chin.  I’m curious to find out if he can take Brian’s power.”

Viloria is one of seven Filipinos to win at least two world titles in different divisions – the others are Pacquiao, Nonito Donaire, Donnie Nietes, Luisito Espinosa, Dodie Boy Peñalosa and Gerry Peñalosa.  His record is 29-3, with 16 KOs.  Viloria has won three in a row since losing the IBF lightflyweight belt to Carlos Tamara on a 12th round stoppage in Pasay City early last year.

This morning, the fighters will weigh-in at the Midas Hotel on Roxas Boulevard.  Neither fighter is expected to experience difficulty making the 112-pound limit.  Early this week, Viloria scaled 2 1/2 pounds over and ate heartily.  Viloria said he’s comfortable as a flyweight and doesn’t anticipate moving up to the next division.

 In the chief aperitif, Mexico’s Martin Honorio battles Thailand’s Fahsai Sakkreerin for the IBF interim superfeatherweight title.  Honorio, 31, has a spoiler’s reputation.  He was the first fighter to stain the unblemished records of victims Wilton Hilario, John Molina, Steven Luevano, Cristian Favela, Isaac Chavarria and Marco Antonio Monroy.  Honorio is coming off back-to-back wins over Sergio Perez and Eugenio Lopez to raise his record to 31-6-1, with 16 KOs.  He’s in his 12th year as a pro.

Fahsai, 30, has a record of 36-2, with 20 KOs.  It’s his first bout outside of Thailand.  Fahsai has won his last 12 outings.  Among his victims were Filipinos Randy Megrino, Roel Laguna, Ericson Origenes, Samuel Ambon, Edgar Gabejan, Van (Holyfield) Bantilan, Roberto Dalisay twice, Elpher Paganpan twice, Johnny Lear, Nathan Barcelona, Benjie Concepcion, Rodney Jun Alba, Edward Escriber, Charlie Angel, Jun Magsipoc and Dondon Lapuz.  In 2005, he was stopped by Filipino Joel Escol for the vacant IBF Pan Pacific superbantamweight title in Bangkok.

By Joaquin Henson The Philippine Star

0 comments:

Post a Comment